I'm so grateful for a strong testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
In my primary class today we talked about the Apostle Peter and testimonies. We discussed how Peter denied Christ three times, but later had the faith and power to do miracles.
I used popsicle sticks and had the kids write different things they have testimonies of on each stick. Then did the whole, if you have one it snaps, but together as a group they are strong enough to withstand the pressure. I also discussed how the Holy Ghost is the binding element that holds all of those things together. That if we aren't worthy of the Holy Ghost, or we aren't doing those things that we should be doing, that our testimony will begin to diminish little by little, until it is gone.
When Peter denied Christ, he had yet to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. That didn't happen until the day of Pentecost, about 50 days later. Once he had that gift, he was able to be worthy to use his priesthood power, and perform miracles. He needed that gift to help keep his testimony strong.
So I guess today I'm really grateful for the Holy Ghost. Giving this lesson really helped me take personal inventory of where my testimony stands. Some areas are definitely stronger than others, and I think that is normal. But as I was going through different things with the kids, I would make a mental note of how strongly I new those things to be true.
A little side note that I'm going to write more for me than anyone:
We have this boy in our ward that was baptized last December, with his mom and sister. At the time, he was in my class, but then they switched which class we teach. His teacher wasn't there today, and there was no sub, so his class came with mine.
He and his family moved here from Vietnam not very long ago. He speaks really good english, but I think that with gospel topics, he occasionally has a hard time understanding. When I asked the kids to write down different things that they personally have a testimony of, he just kind of sat there and played with the popsicle sticks. I asked him again, what he has a testimony of. He got this big smile on his face and said: "Prayer!"
He wrote that down, than just sat there again. I asked him again, "what else do you have a testimony of?" he said he didn't know. It took a few promptings and suggestions for him to really get going on his own, but he did eventually. But he kept repeating how he has a testimony of prayer.
Then he said the closing prayer at the end of class. When we first started teaching him after he was baptized, he would NEVER have said a prayer in class.
It was great to see his progress. It was great to see that this eleven year old boy is trying to do what he can, and though I can tell he is lost at times, he knows his prayers are heard.
I'm so grateful for testimonies.
1 comment:
SUZIE, You are so cute, and your family is so cute! I miss you guys and it is so fun to read about your life and see pics of the family. we just started a blog clark21fam. now it doesn't even compare to yours but i'm excited to start one. jared is soooo cute! tell jason i said hi and i miss you guys. love ya annie
Post a Comment